- Where Is the Cabin Air Filter Located for a Toyota Camry 01?
- How to Change a 2008 Camry Cabin Filter
- 2006 Toyota Solara Cabin Air Filter Location
- Driver Side Mirror Replacement for a 2000 Toyota Camry
- 2007 Toyota Camry Front Brake Pad Installation
- Technical Specifications for a Toyota Camry Hybrid 2007 Model
The 1997 Toyota Camry fuel filter can become clogged with debris and dirt, over an extended period of time. A clogged fuel filter can decrease fuel pressure as well as fuel economy. Toyota produced three trim packages for the 1997 Camry; CE, LE and XLE. All three packages were available with a choice of a four-cylinder or V-6 engine. The base model 1997 Camry CE came with a 2.2-liter, in-line, four-cylinder engine. The fuel filter is located on the driver's side firewall, beneath the brake master cylinder.
Items you will need
- Open-end wrench set
- 3/8-inch-drive ratchet
- 3/8-inch-drive socket set
- 2 new fuel filter washers
- Torque wrench
- Open-end wrench socket adapter set
Raise the hood and set the hood prop. Place a drain pan directly beneath the fuel filter. Loosen the flare nut fitting on the bottom of the filter, using a line wrench. Stop turning the fitting when fuel begins draining from the system. Allow the fuel pressure to release. Remove the flare fitting completely from the filter.
Loosen the union bolt on the top of the filter. Remove the banjo fitting from the filter, and discard the two metal washers. Loosen the mounting bracket tension adjuster screw on the front of the bracket, using a ratchet and socket. Pull the filter from the mounting bracket and set it in the drain pan.
Install the new fuel filter into the bracket on the firewall. Tighten the bracket adjuster screw snug. Install a washer on the top of the filter, followed by the banjo fitting, then another washer. Install the union bolt and tighten the bolt to 22 foot-pounds, using a torque wrench and a socket.
Install the flare nut fitting onto the lower portion of the filter. Tighten the flare nut to 22 foot-pounds, using the torque wrench and an open-end wrench socket adapter. Remove the drain pan and all tools from the engine compartment area of the Camry.
Turn the ignition key to the "II" accessories position. Turn the key to the "Off" position. Repeat this step three times to pressurize the fuel system between the fuel tank and the engine. If you hear any hissing from the engine compartment, stop pressurizing the fuel system and check all of your fuel filter fittings. Start the car, then step out and visually inspect the fuel filter assembly.
- It is a good idea to keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near your work area, when working on the fuel system and fuel related parts.
- Contact your local branch of the Environmental Protection Agency to find out how to properly dispose of waste gasoline. Only put gasoline in an approved gas container.